XX

August 16, 2013
By: 
By Paolo M. Taruc, the Guidon, photos courtesy of Abram P. Barrameda and Pia B. Guballa

It is not surprising that, as was the case with many schools run by religious orders during the Spanish colonial period, the university’s founding Jesuits did not maintain a policy of coeducation when they took over the reins of the Escuela Municipal in 1859. Nearly a century would pass before the very notion of a female Atenean would become more than just an imaginary construct.

Women were finally allowed to lay claim to the Atenean identity when the institution’s graduate school turned coeducational in 1950. Eleven years later, the Ateneo Law School followed suit. By the summer of 1966, the administration had begun to permit women from exclusively female colleges in the country to cross-enroll in what was then known as the university’s College of Arts and Sciences (CAS).

More in the Guidon