Frequently Asked Questions
Doctoral Degree Programs
What is the difference between a PhD and EdD?
The Phd in Education is designed for scholars and researchers aiming to make a contribution in the field of education, especially in educational policy. The EdD, on the other hand, has been customized especially for professional educators and practitioners.
Here is a quick glance at the qualifications for both:
Will classes be online or onsite?
Classes will be primarily onsite with online components.
How much will the tuition fee be?
For tuition and fees, kindly refer to the Office of the Associate Dean for Graduate Programs (OADGP) page.
Are there scholarships/grants available?
For current employees of Ateneo de Manila University
As an employee of the University, you are entitled to the employees’ discount/grant on academic programs. Details of this benefit are under the purview of the Office of Human Resource Management and Organization Development (OHRMOD). Kindly email Ms Suzanne L. Melaya (email@example.com) and furnish copy Ms Cheyenne C. Ortega (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information on this availment.
For non-Ateneo teachers and other applicants in need of financial assistance
Yes. The Ateneo de Manila is offering a 50% scholarship on tuition fees only for coursework enrollment, to anyone employed by a school recognized by DepEd or CHED. Details are HERE.
Additionally, GBSEALD subsidies are also available to qualified applicants, courtesy of the Vicente Tiu Lim Teacher Education Endowment Fund and the Dra. Rosario Bustos Atencio Scholarship Fund for the Education of Public School Teachers. Details may be found HERE.
When are the application deadlines and entrance exam schedules?
Admission deadlines are as follows:
Entrance exam schedules are generally held from the last week of April through the entirety of May every year.
Am I eligible to apply to the EdD program even if my M/MA was a non-thesis track?
Yes. As long as you have completed a masteral degree program, you are eligible to apply for the EdD program + experience of at least five years in the education field.
Note: For PhD, the prerequisite is an MA in Educ (which is thesis-track).
If I want to take a PhD in Education but my MA is in another field and not in Educ, what can I do?
The requirement for admission to the PhD program is really an MA in Education.
Who can we ask for referral letters? I took my masters a long time ago and I don’t think my former professors still remember me. Is there a format for the referral letter?
Referral letters from at least three (3) former professors or current supervisors will suffice. For the EdD, employers may also give referrals.
- Appoint three (3) recommending persons in GOALS.
- The first must be from a former professor, dean, or head of the college or graduate school that you attended.
- The second must be from your immediate superior or employer where you are currently working.
- The third must be from a person pre-eminent in your profession, a person holding a responsible position in business or government, or a former immediate superior or employer.
- If you are a new graduate, your three recommendations may come from a former professor, dean, or head of the college or graduate school. If you have been away from school for some time or if you are not working, your first or second recommendation, respectively, may come from any of the persons listed above.
- None of the evaluators should be a relative.
- Link to the Online Recommendation form will be sent to your references as indicated in your application form. Please make sure their email addresses are correct and active.
What fields of expertise are your faculty engaged in?
You can learn more about our faculty HERE.
When can I start applying?
To better address your admissions concerns, please visit ateneo.edu/ls/graduate for more information on the graduate program offerings, application procedure, requirements and application deadlines including the link to the Graduate Online Admissions to the Loyola Schools (GOALS) portal. Please take note of the graduate admission intake per degree program before applying. The GOALS portal will be updated to include the new GBSEALD programs by January 2023.