Call for Applications: International Development Research Centre – Fifth Cohort
11 Nov 2022 | Haraya Marikit C. Mendoza
The David and Ruth Hopper and Ramesh and Pilar Bhatia Canada Fellowship in the Philippines at the Institute of Philippine Culture, School of Social Sciences, Ateneo de Manila University
The Institute of Philippine Culture (IPC) opens its fifth call for applications for the David and Ruth Hopper and Ramesh and Pilar Bhatia Canada Fellowship in the Philippines. The fellowship is co-supported by Canada’s International Development Research Centre (IDRC) and the IDRC Alumni Association. It provides early career researchers, particularly women, support through fellowships, scholarships, or internships.
The Hopper-Bhatia Canada Fellowship at IPC is open to all Ateneo de Manila University graduate students (MA/MS or PhD programs) currently working on or about to undertake thesis or dissertation fieldwork.
Research priorities of IDRC and the IPC ADMU focus on providing new insight into societal issues that require both a keen understanding of the local context and its connection to the global environment. Themes include but are not limited to the following: health, technology, governance and sustainability, local communities, social capital, globalization, and social change. Studies with practical implications are highly encouraged to apply.
The Fellowship Program provides support for Field Work and Thesis Production, and through a Skills Enhancement program.
Field Work and Thesis Production
Fellows will be provided with up to six units of thesis-related tuition and fees, along with a field research subsidy of up to CAD $1,000 or its equivalent in Philippine Pesos. Upon application, fellows are expected to prepare an indicative budget for approval. This budget may include travel costs, housing allowances, and other fieldwork-related expenses and can be further supplemented by allowable realignments in funding as discussed with the fellowship coordinator and approved by the IPC. The maximum amount for Field Research Subsidy and Thesis Production is the equivalent of CAD $2,100 in Philippine Pesos.
Skills Enhancement Program
The fellowship also offers a Skills Enhancement Program component that builds on core competencies of the IPC, such as gender analysis, participatory research methodologies, and research ethics. Through the conduct of various seminars, workshops, brown bag sessions, and lectures, this component aims to advance new theoretical trajectories, develop capacity in participatory methodologies, and engage the public.
Aside from these, the fellowship also offers publication and conference support as fellows are expected to produce an open-source article and share their findings through any of the various means of knowledge dissemination at the end of the fellowship program.
Complete the application packet, including:
- Approved thesis or dissertation proposal
- Certification of proposal defense from applicant’s home department
- AISIS printout of grades
- Accomplished Hopper-Bhatia Canada Field Research Fellowship Program Application Form
- Updated curriculum vitae
- Proposed fellowship budget and timeline (including fieldwork schedules and activities)
- A one to two-page document outlining the following (if not already included in the applicant's thesis or dissertation proposal):
- A plan that categorically outlines steps to be taken to ensure the safety of research participants/respondents
- Discussion of alternative plans to access local knowledge, answering the question of how knowledge can still be co-produced and shared with partner communities or sectors given the current limitations brought about by the COVID-pandemic
- Proposed fellow-designed workshop, forum, or brown bag session (required)
- Letter of recommendation from thesis or dissertation supervisor that comments on the research project (including the stage of the research), theoretical and methodological approach(es), as well as the anticipated date of completion
Label and number all files accordingly e.g. “1_Thesis Proposal_[LAST NAME OF APPLICANT]”.
2. Send the application packet via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Hopper-Bhatia Fellowship Application Submission – [LAST NAME OF APPLICANT]”.
The deadline for submitting applications is on 31 January 2023 (Tuesday) at 11:59 PM. Successful applicants will be notified before the start of the semester.
For more information, please contact:
Ms. Haraya Marikit C. Mendoza
Institute of Philippine Culture
27 Nov 2022