Ateneo college student leaders attend 39th Buklod Atenista National Leaders Summit 2022
08 Dec 2022 | Nina San Andres / LS Office of Student Activities
Last November 22-27, 2022, student leaders from the Sanggunian ng mga Mag-Aaral ng mga Paaralang Loyola ng Ateneo de Manila (SANGGU) and the Council of Organizations of the Ateneo - Manila (COA-M) attended the Buklod Atenista National Leaders Summit (BANLS) 2022 held at Xavier University - Ateneo de Cagayan, Cagayan de Oro. This summit is the first in-person event of Buklod Atenista in two years.
Buklod Atenista is the alliance of all student governments from the Jesuit Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in the Philippines. The alliance aims to give all Jesuit Higher Education Institutions in the Philippines a means of achieving inter institutional cooperation in the interest of upholding and putting into practice the Ignatian values of respect for human dignity, freedom, justice, and service while fostering patriotism and humanism. This year, the alliance composes of student councils from five (5) Jesuit Higher Education Institutions, namely: The Samahan ng mga Mag-aaral ng Pamantasang (SAMAHAN) of Ateneo de Davao, The Sanggunian ng mga Mag-aaral ng mga Paaralang Loyola (SANGGU) of Ateneo de Manila, The Supreme Student Government of Ateneo de Naga University (SSG), El Consejo Atenista of Ateneo de Zamboanga, and the Central Student Government (CSG) of Xavier University, Ateneo de Cagayan. The alliance continues pursuing its common aspirations and striving to become a person for others and a catalyst of change.
The summit served as an avenue for Atenean student leaders to convene and discuss pressing issues within their communities and the general Philippine context. For the 39th BANLS this year, the alliance also celebrated its 40th founding anniversary. Ateneo de Manila University was represented by seven (7) student delegates, namely: the Buklod Ambassador, Ms. Precious Sweetlene Puspus, the Sanggunian Acting President, Ms. Gabrielle Bernardo, the COA-M President, Ms. Assumpta Nina D.G. San Andres, the Buklod Deputy Ambassador, Mr. Reno Rossel Valdehueza, the Sanggunian Department of External Affairs Co-Chairs, Mr. Davijay Leighton Engay, and Ms. Mariel Dianne Caguimbal, and the COA-M Chief-of-Staff. Mr. Ralf Michael Borja. The delegates were also joined by an Office of Student Activities (OSA) Formator, Ms. Roxanne Lopez.
With a focus on three (3) centers of participation, namely: Youth in Governance, Education and Students’ Rights and Welfare (STRAW), and Environment, the summit carried the goal of drafting resolutions and action plans to address and respond to these challenges. By the end of the summit, there were sixteen (16) filed resolutions by the National Congress, and thirteen (13) resolutions were approved. The Sanggunian and COA-M were able to co-author seven (7) resolutions for the duration of the summit. These are the following:
- A Resolution urging member Student Governments to establish Sectoral Bodies within their Student Governments
- A Resolution urging the Ateneo schools to release a petition statement on the restoration of the “Philippine History” in Secondary Education
- A Resolution mandating the Student Government of Ateneo de Zamboanga University Higher Education Unit to conduct an Annual Environmental Awareness Initiatives to the studentry
- A Resolution Mandating The Buklod Atenista Permanent Secretariat To Register In The National Youth Commission Through The Youth Organization Registration Program “YORP”
- A Resolution Prescribing The Official Symbols Of Buklod Atenista And Providing A Heraldic Code Therefor
- A Resolution Expanding The Jesuit Alliance Action Plan On The Climate Crisis Vis-A-Vis Integration Of The One Health Framework
- A Resolution Encouraging The Member Student Governments The Integration Of The Celebration Of Proclamation No. 127 S. 2001, Declaring The Mindanao Week Of Peace Celebration In Their Respective Student Activities Enhancing The Resilience For Peace In Mindanao
- A Resolution Calling The Five Ateneo Higher Education Units For The Integration Of A Standard Mental Health Break In Their Respective Institutions
- A Resolution Integrating Sexual Health Education In The Ateneo System
- A Resolution Creating A Committee For The Monitoring And Implementation Of The Resolutions Of The Buklod Atenista and Strengthened Accountability Mechanisms
- A Resolution Allowing The Buklod Atenista Council Of Organizations Of The Ateneo (COA) In Allocating One Whole Day To Craft Their Own Parallel Programs On The Buklod Atenista National Leaders’ Summit And Midyear Convention
A Resolution Turning Over The Hosting Rights For Buklod Atenista Mid-Year Conference From Xavier University - Ateneo De Cagayan To Ateneo De Davao University
The National Congress will implement these resolutions with the assistance of the Buklot Atenista Permanent Secretariat (BAPS) in the next few months leading up to the Buklod Atenista Mid-Year Conference, which will be held in February 2023 to be hosted by Ateneo de Davao University’s SAMAHAN.
Ateneo Debate Society recognized by Philippine Senate for winning World Universities Debating Championship 2023
29 Mar 2023