Call for Applications: Two (2) Research and project assistants
20 Apr 2023
Terms of Reference
Unit: Ateneo School of Government (ASOG)
Location: SDC Complex, Ateneo de Manila University, Katipunan Ave. Quezon City
Duration: Nine Months (project-based); subject to extension
Report to: Program Manager
Program: Tobacco Control and Governance
The Ateneo School of Government (ASOG) is the public sector arm of the Ateneo de Manila University. The School’s long-term mission is to teach and work with effective and ethical public servants. It aims to contribute in building a prosperous, sustainable, just, and happy communities in the Philippines, empowered by democratic, participatory, transparent, and accountable governance institutions and processes.
As a graduate school for leadership and public service, ASOG's academic and executive education programs bridge the gap between classroom wisdom and real-world policy decision-making and governance. Through its research and extension programs, and its work with public, private, and community organizations, ASOG continues to develop and foster innovative ideas and approaches in areas such as leadership, poverty eradication, climate change, social accountability, and politics.
- Tasks and Functions
The Ateneo Policy Center, under its Tobacco Control and Governance Program, is currently implementing project activities aiming to support and promote stronger tobacco prevention and control in the country through policy research, policy consultation, policy development, and capacity-building. Particular areas of work include health warning labels, tobacco taxation, and illicit trade, capacity-building, and support to the Department of Health’s National Tobacco Prevention and Control Strategy 2030.
Under the supervision of the Program Manager, the Research and Project Assistant shall assist in the implementation of projects on research areas under the Tobacco Control and Governance portfolio. In particular, the Research and Project Assistant is expected to:
- Provide overall technical assistance in the implementation of the tobacco control and governance program activities under the general supervision of the Program Manager;
- Execute research activities, such as conducting review and analyses of literature, data gathering (may include the development of research instruments; conduct of field interviews, surveys, FGDs, review of literature, etc.), data analysis, and research writing;
- Prepare financial and administrative documents and reports related to the program activities;
- Assist in preparing, managing, and implementing program events such as fora, dialogues, and stakeholder consultations.
- Assist in monitoring and surveillance of the implementation of the activities based on the work plan;
- Assist in logistical preparations in support of the program activities and events;
- Assist in coordination with local partners and international funders;
- Attend and assist in meetings related to the program development and implementation;
- Assist in preparing updates related to the program development and monitoring, and evaluation;
- Prepare reports, documents, and presentations in support of the project implementation;
- Serve as the alternate of the Program Manager in events and activities; and
III. Description of Education, Competence, and Required Experience
- Bachelor's degree in public health, development studies, economics, public policy, health science, or any related field (an advanced university degree is an advantage);
- Thematic familiarity with governance and institutions;
- Project management experience is an advantage;
- Graphics presentation and research communication skills are an advantage;
- Can efficiently handle and deliver outputs with minimal supervision;
- Has good written and interpersonal communication skills in English, and good interpersonal communications skills in Filipino; and
- Has excellent organizational skills and is able to contribute to team research processes.
- Must be willing to travel outside Metro Manila for official business/fieldwork activities.
IV. Application Requirements
All interested applicants must submit the following:
1. An Application Letter addressed to Dr. Philip Arnold P. Tuaño, Dean of the Ateneo School of Government
2. Curriculum Vitae
Please submit the required documents via email to email@example.com and use [SURNAME] – Research and Project Assistant – Tobacco Control” as email subject. Deadline for the submission of applications is on April 26, 2023.
Dr Liane Alampay named 2023 Outstanding Psychologist by the Psychological Association of the Philippines
22 Sep 2023
22 Sep 2023
22 Sep 2023
22 Sep 2023