Department of English

Forming critical global citizens through empowering contexts of literacy


The origins of the Department of English date back to 1868, when Ateneo Municipal de Manila had in its roster its first English language teacher, Carmelo Polino. From being an option for the “Estudios de Aplicacion” of Secondary Instruction students, the study of English turned into an urgent need during the Philippine-American War.  In school year 1921-1922, English became one of the course options that a student could take in order to attain a Bachelor of Arts degree from what was then known as Ateneo de Manila. 

Several events in history can be viewed as important in the evolution of the Department of English.  In 1960, the book Higher Education in Philippine Culture, a report presented to the Rector of the Ateneo de Manila on the occasion of its centenary, stressed the need for a redirection toward supporting the development of Philippine culture. On the other hand, the manifesto “Down from the Hill,” published in The Guidon in 1968, stated: “We recommend a drastic reorientation of the present curriculum… that the present courses in English Literature be converted into courses in Philippine Literature in English and Tagalog.”

The change makers who either used to teach at or studied under the Department of English include Rev. Miguel A. Bernad, S.J., National Artist Salvador F. Bernal, Gilda Cordero-Fernando, Doreen G. Fernandez, Rev. Joseph A. Galdon, S.J., National Artist Bienvenido L. Lumbera, Edna Zapanta Manlapaz, Emy M. Pascasio, National Artist Rolando S. Tinio, Soledad S. Reyes, and Emmanuel S. Torres, among others. 

Department of English

G/F Horacio de la Costa Hall
Ateneo de Manila University Loyola Heights campus
Katipunan Avenue, Loyola Heights
1108 Quezon City

Telephone +63 2 8426 6001 ext. 5310/5311
Telefax +63 2 8426 6120

Contact the Department